Art, Music & Dance from Appalachia to Ardèche and back again.
Annie Fain is native to the crafts/music/dance community of Brasstown, North Carolina, home of the John C. Campbell Folk School. She is a painter & book maker / Southern Highland Craft Guild member / banjo-accordion-uke player / instructor of American & European traditional dance / speaker of French / mother of two. She has lived and studied in Asheville/NC, Edinburgh/Scotland, Brønderslev/Denmark and Désaignes/France.
* Art Prints *
* Gift Cards *
* Wall Calendars *
* Handmade Books *
Music & Dance
Annie Fain grew up in and married into families of traditional musicians and dancers. She now teaches and performs both regionally and in France. She has played both Appalachian old-time and traditional French tunes in various combos: Lucky Boy (Jamie Herrmann & Jessica Johnson), The Liden Family Band (David Liden, Martha Owen, Lindsey Liden, Emolyn Liden & Géraud Barralon) / Blue Eyed Girl (Pearl Shirley, Laurel Willoughby, Ellie Grace) / Accompanist to Géraud Barralon / Ida Red Trio (Polo Bulguière, Nadine Marianelli & Géraud Barralon) / Bal Itinérant Band (Paco Medina, Thibaut Preciat, Polo Bulguière, Nadine Marianelli & Géraud Barralon . She has danced with Rural Felicity Garland Dancers, Loafer’s Glory Clog Morris, Green Grass Cloggers and Dames Rocket Northwest Morris.
- Clawhammer Banjo
- Banjo Uke
- Diatonic Accordion
- Bal Folk
- Northwest Morris
- English Waltz Clog
- Traditional Dance for Kids
Upcoming Performances & Dances
- (canceled) June 13, 2020 / 7 pm / Friday Night Concert with Blue Eyed Girl / John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC
- Oct 3 & 4, 2020 / FALL FESTIVAL / JOHN C CAMPBELL FOLKSCHOOL / DAMES ROCKET NORTHWEST MORRIS
- Oct 2020 / asheville area Tour / Contra Dances & concerts w/ Blue eyed girl
- August 8-15, 2021 / Pinewoods American Dance & Music Week / Clogging/Flatfooting, Bal Folk & Handmade Books / Plymouth, MA
- SEPTEMBER, 2021 / TORONTO ALE / DAMES ROCKET NORTHWEST MORRIS / TORONTO, CANADA
learn clawhammer banjo from scratch
with Annie fain
* beginning – intermediate modules available *
whether a language, new recipe or instrument. . .now is a super great time to learn something new from home.
I have been teaching for 16 years and My specialty is getting folks started from scratch. my approach is pressure/guilt free and informal. My promise to you is to side-step overwhelm and to offer new info in small, bite-size pieces that you can take at your own pace.
My “Learn to Play Clawhammer Banjo from Scratch” series is divided into Modules delivered to you via email after payment.
Each module includes multiple lessons worth of guidance / learning videos / practice exercises / and tab pulled from seeing what has worked best for my students over the years.
* Included in your module is me as your virtual Coach! *
- To guarantee your success as you move through the modules and to ensure that you are moving forward with a strong foundation and no bad habits we will be in touch.
- If you have any problem spots along the way or are ready to move to the next module, text or email me a short video of where you are having that problem or of your accomplishments. I will respond with answers to your questions, suggestions and/or approval for the next module with a video or voice memo. Yay!
Grab your banjo and let’s get started!
Book Arts Sampler Workshop
Dec. 19th 2020, 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Brasstown Crafternoon Series
Brasstown Community Center, Brasstown, NC
Intro to Appalachian Clogging
March 27-29, 2020
John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, NC
annual fain house calendar printing
where to find fain house gift cards
- John C. Campbell Folk School Craft Shop / Brasstown, NC
- Lark & Key Gallery / Charlotte, NC
- Malaprops Bookstore / Asheville, NC
- City Lights Bookstore / Sylva, NC
- Bridgton Books / Bridgton, ME
Be In Touch
We love hearing from you!